Get your notarized documents authenticated for international use

Published by Paragon Notary on 7th July, 2021

Global Affairs Canada sets specific requirements for documents that need authentication. Then each embassy and consulate sets its own requirements for how documents need to be prepared for legalization.

Authentication is often required before you can use a Canadian public document abroad. To be authenticated, your document must be an original document bearing a recognized signature (and seal, if applicable). Authentication proves that the signature and the seal on the document are genuine. Contact our notary public to get your document notarized.

In other countries, authentication is also known as legalization or apostille. Check whether your documents need to be authenticated. Confirm requirements by contacting the embassy, high commission, or consulate of the country where your document will be used like foreign embassies and high commissions in Canada or Foreign consulates in Canada.

Global Affairs Canada require the following documents be notarized before they can be authenticated. If your original document cannot be authenticated, they may be able to authenticate a notarized copy. Our notary public can offer advice on the process for having your documents authenticated.


Documents which should be notarized then authenticated consist of:

o   Adoption papers - documents related to the adoption of a child must be notarized. These include - adoption agreements, adoption certificates and adoption related forms.
o   Apprenticeship and trade certificates must be notarized.
o   Bank documents must be notarized.  GAC authenticate documents such as: bank statements and financial records
o    Burial or cremation documents must be notarized. You must send a death certificate issued by a provincial or territorial vital statistics office with these documents. They will however authenticate: burial permits, cremation certificates and funeral home documents (except death certificates).

o    Business or corporate records must be notarized, such as: commercial invoices,
corporate bylaws, articles of incorporation, provincial business registration documents, letters of employment, letters of invitation, reference letters and packing slips.

Canadian Food Inspection Agency attestation or certificates do not need to be notarized. However, the following can be authenticated: export certificates, certified manufacturers’ declarations, certificates of free sale and health attestations, and certificates issued by the CFIA.

GAC will authenticate certificates issued by the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO). Certificates bearing the original signature or seal of a CIPO official do not need to be notarized, but all others must be notarized, such as: trademark registration certificates, industrial design registration certificates and copyright registration certificates.

A certificate of free sale issued by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency can be authenticated as is. However all others must be notarized. A certificate of Origin issued by the Canadian Chamber of Commerce in Ottawa can be authenticated as is but all others must be notarized. At Paragon Notary, we will notarize your certificates for international use.